Thursday, February 14, 2008

Wow, my energy is all over the place at the moment. Mostly I feel good but then the flip side is bouts of tiredness brought on by my own actions. I really seem to be doing too much so am looking at ways of structuring my week so I have more down time which sounds like a contradiction I know.

Today has been rush, rush, rush. We have had D's friend here since Sunday. The poor girl got homesick so wanted to go home today instead of Friday.

Firstly today, I had planned on going to the allotment to build some more beds with the kids help. I needed to do it there as I didn't know what size I had marked out. Now I know, I can do all the sawing and hammering here as the ones I am working on are about 1m square.
Anyhow the girls did a good job of hammering old nails and new nails into the bits of wood. As time was limited - we had less than an hour - we managed to get all 4 sides of a bed built but not bedded in yet. That will be next weeks job.
The other kids did some more moving woodchip for our path. These new allotments are constantly getting delivery of woodchip so we are stockpiling it for our plot. I don't think I will end up with so much room I can't manage. I calculated about 6 big beds (approx 2 x 1.5m each) and 4 one metre square ones. It won't make us self sufficient but we will be able to grow some stuff. I also want to join in on the home-ed one at the same site so we can get stuff from there too.

We rushed home after the allotment, the girls headed out to the shops and I boiled pasta! As soon as they arrived back from the shops and had eaten a bowl of food we rushed out for D's hair appointment .... which wasn't essential but she seems happy!

The plan for afterwards was for A and D to take D's friend to the train station from the mall... but then I remembered D has dance at 4 so A went on her own, bless her. I have pots to wash then will take D dancing. If A is not back then I will drop the little ones at my Mum's till she returns ... well if she is home, otherwise they will have to come with me.

It is all this logistical planning that I find quite draining!!!! But that is the reality of single parenthood and 4 children!
I now do yoga for 2 hrs on a Wednesday and Thursday evening which means being super organised and making sure food is cooked/nearly cooked before I leave at 5.30. Tonight it is baked potatoes, hotdogs and veg as the kids can manage not to burn this if they have to dish it up!

I will blog about my DWP interview on the other blog tomorrow!

ps sorry for spelling errors as Blogger spellcheck keps playing up on me - damn it!!

1 comment:

Gill said...

I'm very impressed with your allotment work! You'll save a fortune this year if you grow a lot I think. The price of veg is set to rise isn't it?